The UN Global Compact United Arab Emirates
The United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. It supports business to do business responsibly by aligning strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
The principles of the UNGC, in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, underscore women’s empowerment as a vital developmental target, and emphasis the importance of dealing with gender inequality- which in turn allows for exponential change in other areas of global development. The participation of privative sector is essential because women’s employment gives impetus for economic growth and development, and that the private sector provides a large majority of employment opportunities.
The Women’s Empowerment Principles: Equality Means Business
The Women’s Empowerment Principles are the result of partnership between the UN Global Compact and UN Women, and enable businesses to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community.
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Promote education, training and professional development for women
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality